Jumat, 05 Februari 2016

Installing my new vise

?I bought a vise at Harbor Freight with another 20% off coupon.  Its another one of those small projects that
ended up being more work than I expected.
Its not the best one in the world but it is definitely better than no vise.  I hate having no vises....
The clamping mechanism ended up being a little smaller than I expected.
I placed the vice in position and marked where the lower clamp needed to go in.
The lower mech is 1" wide so I used a 1.25" Forstner bit to make a hole.
I opened the bottom with my cordless jigsaw.
I tried to square it off with my jigsaw and then a file.  I put a corded jigsaw on my Christmas list along with a dado set for my tablesaw.
This is what it looks like from the inside.
I screwed in a piece of 2x4 to brace the part where I cut and to have extra support for where I screw vice down into the top of the workbench.
I predrilled the mounting holes down into the extra 2x4 brace.
Not neccessarily my cleanest install but it will do the job.
I pre drilled the holes into the 2x4 brace but not into the the workbench itself.  This bit shattered when the screw hit the workbench wood.  I drilled out the remaining 3 holes into the workbench and had no more issues.
Installed and ready for use.  I am debating on whether I want to mount some pieces of wood to the inside of the vice or not.  I will probably end up doing it just because I get bored.

batare

About batare

Author Description here.. Nulla sagittis convallis. Curabitur consequat. Quisque metus enim, venenatis fermentum, mollis in, porta et, nibh. Duis vulputate elit in elit. Mauris dictum libero id justo.

Subscribe to this Blog via Email :