Sabtu, 06 Februari 2016

Planemaking Test

This project began by chance, after seeing some plane realizations on the net. I used what I had at home, including a new old Hirch (made in Germany) iron and chipbreaker that my friend Ciro gave me a couple of years ago.
The plane body is ash; I really like it, solid, compact, enough easy  to work. The sole and wedge are wenge. The light-dark contrast is very nice.
The wood button used to release the cutting group and setting the blade alchoices attracted me, so I placed a wenge one in the back of the plane.
Not having a right sized ash piece, I proceeded to gluing up three pieces of approx. 3 cm thick.
I excavated the throat cavity by Forstner bits as deep as possible, continuing with a 1" Japanese-style Firmer chisel (Atsunomi). To get the exact bed angle (60 °) I used the chisel with a beech guide block clamped to the top body.
I stamped "S60" on the backS means Smoother and 60 is for indicating the seat angle. To obtain the moldings on the corners I used the belt sander, taking the plane in contact with the abrasive tape for few secondsI obtained the wenge button drilling it by a cup saw.
A double sole really helps to get a very tight mouth. The wenge is a wood very resistant to wear, but has tendency to chip, so be very careful during chiselling around the mouth.The sole has been leveled on sandpaper glued to a flat surface (120 and 180 Grit).
Shavings are our real prize.

batare

About batare

Author Description here.. Nulla sagittis convallis. Curabitur consequat. Quisque metus enim, venenatis fermentum, mollis in, porta et, nibh. Duis vulputate elit in elit. Mauris dictum libero id justo.

Subscribe to this Blog via Email :